Friday, July 16, 2010

Making A House a Home...






















Do you see that last picture....that was the floor to ceiling celery green and off white speckled paneling that lined every ounce of the downstairs bath...it had to go, but on a budget! We have lived in this house for nearly 2 years...we actually moved in 4 days (this is worth repeating people: 4 DAYS BEFORE OUR DAUGHTER WAS BORN). It was crazy! So to say the least, things were just quickly thrown up and in the house without much time to "decorate". And oh how I LOVE to decorate. So now that my baby is almost two (tears and starting to form as I type, I feel so guilty for not wanting her to get older...WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!) I think it's about time to make this house our home. So I started with the downstairs bathroom. Hideous does not do justice to the state of the bathroom. I vividly remember spending close to four hours scrubbing it when we were preparing to move in. But even once it was clean it was still, ummm, UGLY!!! I wish I had taken pictures of it before I started. But luckily, or unluckily, the upstairs bath has the EXACT same paneling!


Well, we are an one income family so re-paneling and doing an actual remodel was not in the cards so I did the best I could with thing I already had plus a couple of thrift store finds. It still not finished. I need to paint because right now it's just primer white and it can be a bit harsh but still not too bad for less than $50.00! I love how the green linen cabinet turned out. I used a dry brush technique that I had never used before and I'd say it turned out none-too-shabby. Or rather, very shabby...just the way I like it. I looks like it has layers of paint, the way an old piece would...not the five year old plywood thing from Lowes that it really is! I'll show how I did that another day.
Oh, and sorry for the pictures being all at the beginning of the post. I haven't figured out the whole layout thing yet. Ooops.

3 comments:

  1. I like!!!! love what you are doing! You will get the hang of the blog! If I can do it you can do it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! You have such a good eye for what looks nice together in a room.

    ReplyDelete